Saturday, August 27, 2011

A few thoughts on being a Christian.... Written by Abiola.

In a world where it is unfashionable to believe in and love God, it is sometimes hard to be different. Being different means choosing an option that is seemingly less attractive or rewarding, or being ridiculed by others for being too pious; it may also result in outright opposition in response to views and actions that may be regarded as deluded or outdated. Professing Christianity in its truest form may actually be one of the hardest things to do in this day and age in our so-called enlightened society, in our culture where the human being is most esteemed in spite of his obvious past and present failings. I personally have made up my mind to walk with God. I will be the first person to tell you that this walk has had a flawed past and I am not confident enough to say that history will not repeat itself. This makes me despair sometimes and I think, what is the point? Surely, a God who is perfect and who wants us, and has even told us to be holy like him should make it easier for us to do so. So why do I keep falling short and doing wrong? Pride tends to be one of the big culprits bringing me to this state of mind, and indeed is behind a lot of the reasons why I return to this position time after time. And thoughtful reflection brings me back to the same conclusion. God is holy. I was a sinner and I have been saved by grace. God is not the reason I am like this, my own sinful nature is and it is He who is actually responsible for all the good in my life. He totally, wholly and faithfully loves me for who I am and guilt is not one of the things he gives to me. In remembering this, I can move on from this stage grateful for what I have in Him and ready to receive the next thing life has in store for me.

However, my flaws sometimes leave me feeling incapable. Not smart enough, not polished enough, not knowledgeable enough, and the list goes on. This can lead me to a state of inertia, incapable of doing anything because I am too frightened of the result. Past experiences scare me and future predictions scare me. It is not easy. Our society also, though generally tolerant, ridicules our beliefs and values and may make us question ourselves. I believe in a God but am I right to be so steadfast? Am I right to set standards for myself so high? Am I right to be so faithful to my beliefs for if I am wrong, will I have missed out on the ‘highlights’ of the alternative?

I ask myself these questions very often it seems, for whatever reason. I used to look at them as a burden but I am beginning to change my mind about them. For these questions make me reconsider what it is that makes God and His son Jesus so popular even today where it seems as if the odds are stacked against them. He has proved Himself to be true and faithful. We must not confuse God and His people, ever. They are family but they are not the same. His people are still capable of doing wicked things, for they are still in the flesh. Remembering this will help the world understand that the evil deeds of man (especially religious men) are not reflection of who He is. These questions help me recall who it is that still stirs the world and minds, great and small, even today. They remind me and convince me again that belief in him is better than non-belief in Him, give me that anytime. As I love Him, I want to be like Him and please Him and I must therefore align my thoughts and actions accordingly. The alternative, well, it is not so appetizing when you really stop and look past all the glamour and splendour with which it advertises itself. For beyond it tends to be a mixture of ugliness, pain and surprisingly, uncertainty that they might be getting it horrifically wrong.

And that is why I choose God. Well part of it anyway. Jesus says He is the way and the truth and the life and He came to save us and that He loves us. That is all I need to hear, living in a world that seems to have very little hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment