Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sibling Trouble





I thought my life was bad because everyone around me seemed to always make me go mad,   especially because I am the eldest girl in the midst of four annoying and lazy boys. I do all the house work and I never get a ‘thank you’, instead I get bossed around by my mum and I clean up the mess my brothers make. After all the work I sit down to watch TV and I can’t even enjoy it because my brothers start yelling till I change the channel for them to watch their stupid match which never ends…and at night I just spend it planning my escape.



For a while I have been in pain and I thought every other person around me was okay, till this afternoon.
I could not take it anymore and I started complaining to my friends, Cassandra and Derin.


Cassandra has been my friend for a while and all we talk about is her brother Andrew.
You see Cassandra is someone who looks happy but bears a lot, and today was the day I finally understood how she felt. she spent the afternoon complaining about her brother and how he always takes her friends away from her (I mean up till today, she hasn’t introduced me to him). She says she has no real friends and everyone wants to be her friend because she has a very cute brother, did I say cute?, I mean HOT brother! At first I thought it was nothing compared to my case, until I realised that to her, it's really a big deal because she even feels ignored by her parents too. She said her brother has been receiving awards since he was born and she just hates herself sometimes when she looks at him.



I thought only brothers were difficult to live with until Derin started telling us her own story.


Derin has five sisters and she feels like the ‘ugly duckling’ among them. She says she never gets attention. Infact, she said that one day she was with her twin sister and a guy walked up to them and said he wanted to talk to her sister and even referred to her as the maid. She also said that most guys she likes always end up losing interest in her when they see her twin sister.
It was getting too frustrating because we spent hours just talking about our issues without trying to solve the problem, so I decided to think of a solution so we could all be happy.


While I was caught up in my thoughts, I realised that some of our parents or sisters may have a hand in our issues, but we are in control of the situation and also how we see ourselves. I realised that I was not being neglected at all, in fact my mum always gives me special attention as the first girl and I enjoy a lot of privileges.


In Cassandra’s case, she didn’t have so many friends because she was always complaining, maybe if she didn't complain so much her friends wouldn’t leave her, no matter how HOT her brother is.


Derin is  actually a beautiful girl but she lacks confidence and grooming. she probably wouldn't have been referred to as a maid if she were well-dressed. A lot of people say that women who get attention are not just pretty but very confident and I feel that is all Derin needs! There you have it, problem solved! Our families are not perfect but good enough, worse things could happen. I guess most of the problems were just due to a lack of understanding of ourselves and our siblings.

2 comments:

  1. Since Cain & Abel, siblings rivalry had existed. It is up to the individual if he/she want to be bothered by it.

    ReplyDelete