Monday, February 14, 2011

LOVE….it’s Valentine!

Valentine is here again, Love is in the air!
When I hear the word ‘Valentine’, what I think of is wine, chocolates and a big teddy bear!
It’s amazing how the great day originated from the name of a Priest who married people when it was illegal under the Emperor Claudius.
It’s amazing how such a great day as today just makes the boys who don’t have money furious; for fear that they may disappoint or even lose their girlfriends.
So is Valentine’s Day just for the married or unmarried couples?
The question is: Is love just for the married or unmarried couples?
I think that everyone should spend the day showing love to friends, relatives, teachers, the poor, and anyone around.
You don’t have to spend through your nose; remember the day is love-bound!
 
Girls and Gifts
For most people Valentine’s Day is about receiving and giving gifts. For girls it’s all about receiving gifts! Usually, very few girls give out gifts, they prefer to receive, while some neither give nor receive.
A survey was carried out in a university, 100 girls from different departments were asked how they feel about accepting gifts from guys or anything at all.
58% of the girls said they usually accept things from guys and the remaining 42% said they don’t.
Common Reasons why girls accept gifts from guys:
1.     He is my Fiancé or boyfriend
19% of the girls said they will accept gifts because he is their boyfriend or Fiancé. It’s only natural to accept gifts from your finance or boyfriend because you already have an established relationship. It’s actually a problem if he doesn’t buy you gifts, in some cases he may not be able to afford gifts; but no matter how broke he is, he should be able to save to impress you. Even if it’s once in a while like on Valentine’s Day or your birthday. If he really can’t afford to buy you gifts or if he is not interested or just not that into you, time will tell. Watch out for the signs!

 
2. He is someone I know
21% of the girls said they collect gifts from guys because he is someone they know. Ronke says “I don’t feel you have to wait until you start dating a guy before you accept things from him”. He may be your family friend, your relative or a well- wisher”. Valerie says “I accept things from guys, not just any guy, but the few I know”.
Bukky says “friendship is give and take”’. Lara says “Yes I accept things from guys I know because I don’t want to make them angry, I don’t always accept because I never ask them for it”. Others say they just feel like accepting them, it’s a gift or additional stuff.
Whatever the reason, it’s important you state clearly what kind of relationship you want with the guy and let the guy know.
Accepting it may make him feel you are interested in dating him, when you are really just friends.
 

3. I expect him to give me things
About 2% of the girls said they accept things from guys because they expect him to give those things or it’s just supposed to happen.
Nneka says “I collect things from guys because it makes sense”. As a girl it’s expected that guys will give you gifts but it’s still important to define the relationship.
 
4. I give him gifts too
Only 2% feel they should accept gifts from guys because they give them gifts too, it’s not surprising! It’s only natural to collect when you give that way you don’t feel it’s a one way thing its ‘give and take’ everyone is happy and he doesn’t feel he can treat you any how or call you materialistic because you also give. It kind of makes you independent and attracts respect from your male friends or your boyfriend.
 

Why girls don’t collect things from guys

42% of the girls said ‘no’ here are some reasons why:
 
1.     They expect something in return
23% of the girls are of the view that nothing goes for nothing, and that the guy will expect something in return. Tosin says “I don’t want anything from a guy that I don’t want to date.
“I don’t like depending on guys for what I need, they feel they are getting closer to me which is not right, I like leaving guys in the position they are meant to be which is- just there’” says Kemi.
Nonye says “I can afford gifts myself if I want any” Efe says
“I am satisfied with what I have, most of the guys who give these things have other motives and expect something in return” Toyin says “They will feel they have a right over you”.
 
2.     It’s part of me and my home training
8% of the girls say ‘no’ because it’s part of them, due to their home training and personal experiences. Zainab says “I just don’t like it” Amaka says.
 “I was brought up to reject such gifts and I don’t need them” Jane says. Nkem says “I wasn’t brought up that way and my parents provide what I need”.
 
3.     I am content with what I have and I get all I want from my parents
11% of the girls said ‘no’ because they a satisfied with what their parents give them. Seun says “everything I need, my parents give m always”.
Abike says “I don’t feel a guy is responsible for me, my parents are responsible for that”. Temitope says “I get all I want from my parents”.

No comments:

Post a Comment