Tuesday, February 1, 2011

GIRLFRIEND OF THE MONTH!!!

Kikelola Soyode is the founder of the Bola Soyode Educational Foundation; a foundation that focuses on providing a chance for children with deceased parents to continue their education by sponsoring their education financially, thereby creating a brighter future for such kids.

Girlfriends had a chat with her about her foundation, the challenges she faces running it, and whole lot of other stuff. Enjoy and be inspired! J

1) Tell us a bit about yourself? 

 I'm 22 years old and I’m currently doing my Masters in Intellectual Property Law. My first degree was in Law at Manchester University (I’m back there now for my Master’s) and then I went on to do the LPC (Legal Practice Course) at BPP Law School.  I run a fashion blog with my friend Tobi called StyleByQueens and I also run an NGO called the Bola Soyode Educational Foundation. I’m hoping to move back to Nigeria before the year runs out, to start my career in Law, concentrate on my NGO a bit more and get a bit of fashion in there somewhere hopefully!

2) When did you decide to start the Bola Soyode Educational Foundation?

A few days after my 15th birthday, marked the 10th anniversary of my father’s death.  I wanted to do something special and I had had this idea for a few months prior. After my father died, it was just my mum and I and of course she faced numerous challenges but she always managed to pull through. There was a girl in school with me, who lost her dad and had to leave school because her mum could no longer keep up with the fees. I decided to make my mark on the issue, because that could easily have been my story.
 

3) What challenges have you faced so far?
FINANCES! The foundation runs mainly on donations from corporations and individuals. Their pledges are renewed either monthly or annually and one of our biggest challenges is chasing up our sponsors to renew their pledges!

4) You recently organized a fund-raiser event for the foundation, how successful was it?
It was very successful. Most people that know me know that I am not a very emotional person (well…. most times) but the entire event was really overwhelming and I actually cried at the end of it. We were able to raise almost N2m. I’m eternally grateful to everyone that came out to support the cause.

5) What is your vision for the BSE foundation?
To sponsor even more children up to University level and not just Nigerian children because these challenges are faced by families all over the world. I would really want the foundation to be global!
6) How do you combine school with running the foundation?

I have to admit, it is extremely challenging. I organized the last two fundraisers right in   the middle of my exams and I have to say it was very difficult, but it’s all about planning your time wisely.

 7) What motivates you to keep going?
This sounds very “cheesy” but it’s true. The joy on the faces of these children and their mothers always makes it worthwhile. When they tell you how the foundation has lifted a burden, it just makes me realize that we are really touching lives and making a difference.

8) What inspired the creation of style by queens?
My blogging partner and I, Tobi, were really bored one day after a series of Civil Litigation classes and we were on the verge of losing our minds. Tobi sent me a text asking if I wanted to start a blog and I shrugged and said, why not? We both love clothes and everything fashion. The blog has sort of taken a life of it’s own considering how it started!

9) Do you and Tobi ever have disagreements about what goes on the blog?
Not to my knowledge, no. We’re too similar and we think alike so that makes it a lot easier.

10) What do you love most about fashion?
The fact that it is an extension of my personality. It makes me very confident (depending on what I’m wearing anyway). I love creativity and fashion gives people the avenue to showcase this creativity. It’s amazing!

11) Define your style…
Honestly, I wear whatever looks makes me feel comfortable. But if I could describe my style I’d say it’s girly with a bit of “rock chic”. I love dark colours but I also like a splash of colour in there sometimes.

12) How would you describe yourself?
I’m very shy but some say I’m funny. I like to think of myself as a nice person generallyJ. I recently diagnosed myself with “Overachiever’s Syndrome”, I’m my biggest critic and I am never comfortable with what I’ve achieved; I always want more.

13) How do you relax?
I read a lot of books and I love fashion magazines. Shopping is always a good way to relieve stress. I love cooking as well; it really relaxes me.

14) What are your plans for the future?
To be a very successful Intellectual Property lawyer, probably representing a big fashion house. Also, BSF sponsoring thousands of children worldwide! And of course, marriage and kids in there somewhere.

15) Your advice to girls would be…
Stay true to yourself. DO.NOT.GIVE.IN.TO.PEER PRESSURE. Surround yourself with positive people and seriously… listen to your parents, they know what they are talking about most of the time!

16) One last word…
”the first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second –listening, the third –memory, the fourth –practice, the fifth –teaching others. “ –Solomon Gabriol.


For more info on the Bola Soyode Educational Foundation go to
http://www.thebsefoundation.com and support this cause!

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! She is absolutely inspiring!soo inspiring i want to do more with my life!!! Wow! This is a lovely blog you guys have got here. Dont stop
    www.gistdotcom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete