Saturday, January 1, 2011

GIRLFRIEND OF THE MONTH!!!

Mobolaji Akiode is a former Fordham basketball star and the founder of the ‘Hope 4 Girls Africa’ program. She was recently profiled on ESPN’s Outside the Lines in a documentary titled “Her story: Ten Times Over” for her work in her home country Nigeria. While at Fordham, she earned an award for the Female Student-Athlete of the year. This led to a try out with the WNBA’s Detroit shock and a trip to the 2004 summer Olympics in Athens as a member of the Nigerian national team.
Girlfriends caught up with her for an interview about basketball, the hope 4 girls program, amongst other things. Enjoy and be inspired! J                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
1)    Tell us a bit about your background….
 I lived in Nigeria as a child. I moved to America at the age of 9 and started playing basketball at 13. I went to Columbia high school and earned a basketball scholarship to Fordham University where I accumulated numerous awards and graduated with an accounting degree.  I then moved to Europe where I played in Switzerland and Ireland and simultaneously joined the Nigerian national team in 2004 representing the country in Athens Olympics and world championship and nation’s cup and various tournaments. I quit playing basketball in 2006 and started working at ESPN in 2007. I quit ESPN in 2009 to move back to Nigeria to attend to hope4girlsafrica.  I still hope to pursue my MBA in sports management and marketing.

2)   When did you discover your love for basketball?
I started playing basketball at the age of 13 and since then I’ve used basketball as a tool to realize my greatest dreams and actualize my fullest potential. Through basketball, I was able to visit and live in the most amazing countries, meet the most amazing people, and experience the most amazing things.  Although my experience through basketball has been amazing, I didn’t see enough opportunities put in place for more girls from Africa to have the same dream.

3)   What is the Hope 4 Girls Africa program all about?
Our target group is young African women between the ages of 12 to 18 years. We aim to provide opportunities for these young women to display and develop character, intellect, and athletic ability through H4G sports camps, learning workshops, and other empowerment programs. On a more sensitive scale, it creates an environment for young girls to express themselves, look up to role models and address concerns of young African women. We have seminars during all our programs, health and wellness, issues on relationships etc.  We try to build confidence, friendships and leaders.  These are all naturally exhibited through sports participation. So many parts of our society neglect the wellness and development of girls and we are trying to bring attention to them and create programs that will keep them encouraged.  We also try and locate girls with great potential and help them maximize their goals by providing them with student athlete scholarships in the U.S of which two have already been awarded.


4)   How do you find the transition from the United States to Nigeria?
It’s been difficult.  But my passion and the love for what I do really surpass the challenges.  Things and many people are backwards and of course there is the naija factor that can’t be quantified.  It makes simple things difficult.  Other than that I love what I do and I love the impact it’s having on my girls.

5)   What inspired the move?
During my first camp in August of 2009, we had 65 girls from all over Nigeria and they got an open forum to address their problems needs and wants.  The consensus was neglect and no one was fighting for them to help them realize their passion, their dreams, or goals.  I believed I had garnered enough knowledge to help solve this or at least bring it to light, and give them a platform for their voices to be heard.  If I was serious about it, I knew I had to come home so I challenged myself and did.


6)   What challenges do you face within the Nigerian environment?
Let’s put it this way.  I grew up in a structured society, where accountability and transparency is valued and there are no backdoors.  The mentality in Nigeria is totally backwards from what I am use to. I encounter it on sooooo many levels.  For me it’s trying to get things done without becoming like that and accepting the status quo.

7)   What common issues are encountered amongst girls enrolling in the program?
The only common issue is distance.  There are two issues with that. We have an academy located in Yaba but it’s too far for some girls from other distances. The second is our programs have been in Lagos and many girls from delta Abuja and other states have shown great interest so we are trying our best to explore new states and spread h4g.  We hope we can get more support so we can spread our programs.  The second issue is many underestimate the amount of girls who want to be a part of sports so we have huge numbers but not enough staff to accommodate them.  Many schools don’t provide their girls with sporting opportunities especially the Govt. Schools and with our program being the first of its kind we have an overwhelming number.



8)   What’s your vision for the program?
My vision is in 2 fold. One is to continue to create educational opportunities for less privileged girls in the U.S. and to spread h4g to the point where it becomes an African program, where girls from Ghana, Benin republic, Togo etc. can gather for a great week of sports and girl empowerment.  I hope to have my own gym, so hope4girls can have a permanent home for its princess academy.

9)   How would you describe yourself?
I am very passionate and emotional, but strong-minded. I am extremely witty and I care about people. I’m a laugher, I love to laugh and I’m a dreamer! J

10) What inspires you?
Success inspires me. Once I choose to challenge myself and succeed at it. I get inspired to do more to take on more challenges. It’s almost like a drug. I’ve succeeded at creating a brand in Nigeria and my next challenge is to spread it to other West African countries.

11) How do you relax? 
You might find this funny I relax by boxing. Punching away the stress of the day and relaxing with a movie afterward.

12) What are your plans for the future?
Well I have 3 plans for the next 4 years. A masters, the growth of h4g, and to create my own sports business. Somewhere in there I hope to fit in marriage (chuckle).

13) Your advice to girls….
In a society like Nigeria, all you have is your self worth and your mind, don’t cheapen it for anyone or anything, because all in all whatever they have to offer you is temporary and once you lose yourself you can’t get it back.

14) One last word….
Travel the path of integrity and never look back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing.  We could always use more support and ideas from different women!

For more info on Mobolaji’s works in Nigeria, you can visit the Hope 4 Girls Africa website at, http://www.hope4girlsafrica.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment