Saturday, April 2, 2011

Here we go again…



I spent hours listening to mum’s lecture,

Throughout in my mind I thought ‘here we go again’,
She says the same thing in the same structure,
‘Don’t do this, don’t do that, all in life is vain’.

Sometimes it feels like she just hates me,
Other times I feel she’s just old.
What kind of girl does she want me to be?
In the midst of my friends doesn’t she want me bold?

How can my social ship sink to nothingness?
How can I be dressing like a fool?
Rather than be in worthlessness,
I’d rather drown in a pool.

Today is Julie’s birthday,
I must be there,
I must show myself today,
I want all to stare!

I’m dressed up now,
It’s time to go,
Mum stops me with the word ‘how’
And again here we go…

She says I’m not properly dressed,
And in fact I shouldn’t go again,
As if I wasn’t already stressed,
She gave me chores to increase my pain.

She gave me the house keys,
and said she would be back,
my mind said ‘hurry please’
I even promised to bake a snack!

I rushed to the phone
To call Gbemi to pick me up,
Even if she said ‘ok’ with a groan,
I still felt on top.

On my way,
I was imagining how I would dance,
My last day,
If only I had the chance!

The drunk driver drove into a tanker,
And that was the end,
Of me Gbemi and Franca!
I took the wrong bend.

My mum told me not to go,
Because she felt it in her soul,
I thought I was old enough to know,
But age can’t play a mother’s role.


3 comments:

  1. Simple enough for everyone to understand. I prefer when there is an important message to convey there's no need to coat it with ambiguous words. I like the last two lines best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The parent try the best they can... but... in vain

    ReplyDelete